At Tregoze Primary School we plan and teach lessons to engage and inspire children to develop a love of music and to develop their talent as musicians. We believe it is really important for the children to have an enjoyment for music and be given the opportunity to explore their creativity. We use Charanga to support our music teaching (https://charanga.com/site/ ) which is an online scheme that includes lots of visual aids and interactive resources to support the children's learning about music. Within music lessons the children are given the opportunity to:
- perform, listen to, review and evaluate music, composers and musicians
- learn to sing and to use their voices, to create and compose music on their own and with others
- have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument and use technology to compose
- understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated: pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations
In Years 3, 4 and 5 the children have a 30 minute session a week which is taught by a specialist from the ‘Swindon Music Service’. Year 3 spend the year learning how to play the Ukulele and Year’s 4 and 5 learn to play the African drums. This is a fantastic opportunity and often leads to children taking up individual music lessons for that instrument. Each year one of the drumming or the Ukulele classes gets to perform, alongside other schools, at the ‘Platform Music Theatre’ in front of parents and other schools. Reception, KS1 and Year 6 have singing lessons that are linked to their topics, Music Festivals and productions such as the Nativity play..
All children take part in a singing assembly once a week. Each term a different genre of music and composer is introduced, music is played and songs are learnt through these genres. We also learn hymns linked to seasons, Christmas Carols and songs for the annual Music Festivals. We have a singing teacher who teaches the children songs which have been chosen for the schools Christmas Carol Service.
At Tregoze Primary School we have 2 choirs. The KS2 choir attend a club in the Autumn and Spring Term where they learn songs for the ‘Junior Voice Festival’ and the KS1 choir learn theirs for the ‘Infant Voice Festival’ in the Summer Term. In Reception the children are taught their songs for the ‘Early Years Festival’ in class in the Spring Term and are supported by a specialist singing teacher from the Swindon Music Service.
To support our music teaching and provide engaging opportunities for our pupils, we often invite guests into our school. Each year we have 2 roadshows, one of which is performed using wind instruments and the other using stringed, however this can vary each year. We also provide opportunities for children to learn a musical instrument such as the drums, guitar, recorders and the keyboard. At the end of each year, Year 6 perform a musical to the school, parents and the community.
Each term we have a music day which has a particular focus on being able to:
- improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the inter-related dimensions of music
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory
- use and understand staff and other musical notations
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
- develop an understanding of the history of music.